While the issue of gun control remains divisive, there are clear areas of agreement when it comes to a number of gun policy proposals. Fully 85% of Americans favor making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, with comparable support from Republicans, Democrats and independents. Similarly, 80% support laws to prevent mentally ill people from purchasing guns, with broad support across party lines.
But this bipartisan consensus breaks down when it comes to other proposals. Two-thirds of Americans (67%) favor creating a federal database to track gun sales, but there is a wide partisan divide between Democrats (84%) and Republicans (49%). A smaller majority of the public (55%) favors a ban on assault-style weapons; Independents (53%), Democrats (69%) also are far more likely than Republicans (44%) to support this. Similar partisan divides exist when it comes to banning high-capacity ammunition clips or the sale of ammunition online.
- e-witness reblogged this from nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident
- liberallyme reblogged this from demnewswire
- 18mr reblogged this from nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident
- catmonocles likes this
- wishidsaidthat reblogged this from nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident reblogged this from demnewswire
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- resurrecthobbes likes this
- ahundredyears likes this
- jgj33 likes this
- baronbentley likes this
- judgemental-cat reblogged this from demnewswire
- seminaldesigner likes this
- demnewswire posted this