Appearing on CBS’ Face the Nation this morning, Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ) enthusiastically called for a government shut down:
SALMON: I was here during the government shutdown in 1995. It was a divided government. we had a Democrat [sic] President of the United States. We had a Republican Congress. And I believe that that government shutdown actually gave us the impetus, as we went forward, to push toward some real serious compromise. I think it drove Bill Clinton in a different direction, a very bipartisan direction. In fact, we passed welfare reform for the first time ever, and we cut the welfare ranks in the last decade and a half by over 50%. These are good things. We also balanced the budget for the first time in 40 years in 1997, 1998, 1999. And when I left we had an over $230 billion surplus. This was with a Democrat [sic] president, A Republican —
HOST: You think that’s a good idea?
SALMON: Yes, I do. I really do. I think it’s about time!
- ausetkmt reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- benaustin25 likes this
- politicallynerdy reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- timekiller-s likes this
- beemill likes this
- thepoliticalfreakshow reblogged this from recall-all-republicans
- recall-all-republicans reblogged this from demnewswire
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias likes this
- recall-all-republicans likes this
- peakcapitolism reblogged this from demnewswire
- demnewswire posted this