Overshadowed by the wave of historic results that emerged from Tuesday’s election, including women taking the governor’s office as well as two congressional seats and making New Hampshire the first state with an all-female delegation, was another bit of history.
Stacie Laughton, a Democrat, became the first openly transgender lawmaker in the state.
“I believe that at this point, the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community will hopefully be inspired,” Laughton said Wednesday. “My hope is that now maybe we’ll see more people in the community running, maybe for alderman. Maybe in the next election, we’ll have a senator.”
Laughton won one of three seats in the state House of Representatives in Ward 4, joining Democrats David Cote, no relation to the author, and Mary Gorman. She garnered 1,588, easily beating two Republican candidates.
11 Notes/ Hide
- casserolie reblogged this from nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident
- bumblebeelaura reblogged this from nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident reblogged this from demnewswire
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- thatpersianversion likes this
- chrysanthevonne likes this
- browngurlwfro reblogged this from demnewswire
- progressivepolitics reblogged this from demnewswire
- goodcleanchristianfun likes this
- demnewswire posted this